Creamy Rigatoni with Butternut Squash, Kale, and Cottage Cheese
Makes 4 servings.
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time 30 minutes.
- 1 lb dry rigatoni pasta
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup pasta cooking water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz frozen cubed butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 cup Good Culture cottage cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bunch fresh kale, any variety, chopped
- Flaky sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and the rigatoni, and stir. Cook for 14 minutes, or until al dente, stirring occasionally. Reserve the pasta cooking water before draining. Strain, and add the pasta back to the pot. Toss with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt, and cook until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and stir. Add the butternut squash and cook until warmed through.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender. Add the pasta water, ½ cup of the cottage cheese, italian seasoning, lemon juice, and the remaining teaspoon of sea salt. Blend until smooth. Pour the butternut squash sauce over the rigatoni, and stir. Place the pot over low heat to keep warm while you prepare the kale.
- Heat a medium skillet with 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chopped kale and cover. Steam until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the cooked kale to the pasta, and stir.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls, and dollop with remaining ½ cup of cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle the pasta with a generous pinch of flaky sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, and serve immediately.